Basic tasks of the Department are as follows:
- ensuring compliance of internal and external regulatory acts drafted by the Ministry of Agriculture with Satversme (Constitution), legislation, regulatory acts issued by the Cabinet of Ministers, international laws and agreements, international and national judicature and guidelines of the State governance and administrative process as well as with requirements of the official language;
- legal expertise of the internal and external regulatory acts as well as of draft agreements, by assessing their compliance with the national legislation, legal technique, European Union legislation and linguistic requirements of Latvian;
- provision of opinions on regulatory acts drafted by other Ministries;
- representation of interests of the Ministry of Agriculture in law enforcement institutions;
- ensuring the establishment, implementation and development of a unified staff management strategy at the Ministry of Agriculture;
- ensuring the process of staff awarding with distinctions of the Ministry of Agriculture and the Cabinet of Ministers.