The Nordic-Baltic Veterinary Contingency Group (N-B VCG) is organizing a seminar on Animal Health Contingency Planning – focus on: vaccination, animal welfare, wildlife and costs. The seminar will be conducted with the support of the Nordic Council of Ministers.
The seminar addresses personnel with special responsibilities in animal health preparedness, contingency work and animal welfare. This includes:
- Persons / Institutions involved in contingency planning within the area of animal health
- Veterinarians employed by national governments designated to handle animal disease emergencies, animal welfare and food safety
- Diagnosticians from national reference laboratories covering infectious animal diseases
- Veterinarians and other professionals employed by the livestock industry responsible for disease prevention, control and eradication, livestock economy and for animal welfare
- Representatives of veterinary medical associations
The objectives of the seminar
- To review vaccination against FMD/CSF/LSD/BT/AI, with special reference to emergency vaccination
- To highlight and exchange views on animal welfare related to keeping food producing animals, trade in animals and controlling disease emergencies.
- To address the importance of and methods of passive and of active surveillance for emerging and exotic diseases in wildlife
- To share knowledge and experience on costs associated with outbreaks of Avian influenza and of African swine fever and the application of farm biosecurity measures